[Korean] Meaning of Borahae, Dongsaeng, Manito, Jagi, Ottoke, and Gashina

Here I come again to tell you about Korean words.
Let's get start!

1) Borahae (I purple you)
Bora is a Korean word that means purple.
It's a made-word for BTS fan by Taehyung (aka V) of BTS.
In Nov 2016, Taehyung made this expression.

Here's his message and I translated it.
- Do you know the meaning of purple?
- Purple is the last color of rainbow.
- Purple has meaning to believe and love for a long time.
- Yes, I've just made the meaning.
- But I hope to see you forever like its meaning.
- So I believe you and I will step up stairs with you.



2) Dongsaeng
Dongsaeng means younger sibling.
You can add gender before dongsaeng.
Nam+Dongsaeng is male younger sibling and Yeo+Dongsaeng is female younger sibling.
But you can also use this expression for a familiar person who is not your family.



3) Manito
It comes from a Spanish word what means a best friend.
In Korea, it's a kind of game from 1980- and it's similar with secret Santa game.

Here's the rule:
- Determine a period of the game. Several weeks, months, or a year.
- Write every participants name on slip of papers.
- Choose one
- If someone pick him/her-self, then do it again.
- You should become a manito of him/her

In general, you can do these kind of things for your fellow "secretly".
- Help him/her without noticing by them
- Put some snacks on his/her desk
- Smile for him/her

At the end of the game, every participants open that who's manito.
And usually prepare a letter and a gift for your fellow.



4) Jagi
You may listen "Jagiya" in drama.
It's same meaning of honey, sweetie, or darling.
It's used between couples in a relationship to address each other.


5) Ottoke
This is an expression when you're confuse or you're in trouble.
"How should I do?", "What should I do now?"
Or you can also use this when your friends is at the situation.


6) Gashina
The K-pop title of Sunmi.
It's an accent that means "a little girl".
But it's not a good meaning in general.
So I recommend you, not to use this expression.



If you have other questions found in Korean lyrics, drama, and movies, please leave comments then I will write about it.
And I also welcome about wrong English expressions on my articles.

Thank you!

Comments

  1. Thanks ❤️๐Ÿ’œ borahae ๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to ARMY and always wondered why people always used purple hearts when they commented on BTS posts on youtube. Now I totally get it! ๐Ÿ’œborahae๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Borahae now i know this word thank you very much for teaching ussss borahae annyonggggg!kamsamhamnida๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I have a question that why gashina is not good meaning in general?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loveed your blog..Pls support my blog too-> introvertbag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for this.. I'm studying Korean slowly as well, so this is very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was an army since 2020 and tell ya, that was the best decision i have ever made!!! Borahae ๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[Korean] Meaning of Anpanman, Konjac, Ddaeng, Babo, and Hajima

[IZ*ONE from KR] About Personal Colors of IZ*ONE members